What do the two strings of black beads in the mangalsutra represent?
As per Hindu Dharma, mangalsūtra is an ornament of a woman denoting her marital status. Each person makes a mangalsutra for the bride as per his capacity. If it is not possible to make a mangalsutra with a cord of gold or silver, they make it by stringing black beads in a thread.
Importance of Mangalsutra
Due to the mangalsutra the woman remains conscious of Dharma, duty and rules. Wearing mangalsutra is an important conduct for a married woman. This is called code of Righteousness for women. Due to this the woman does not indulge in wanton behaviour and her conduct remains ideal.
Due to the mangalsutra the woman and others are conscious of her marital status. Mangalsutra is a marital bondage. Its main objective is that the woman should remember this sacred bondage and there should not be any immoral behaviour on her part. That others should also be conscious that the woman wearing a mangalsutra is a married woman and she should be respected properly is also the objective behind it.
Due to the mangalsutra the consciousness of the husband in the form of Deity Shiva remains constantly awakened in the woman.
Mangalsutra is symbolic of Deity Shiva and Deity Shakti. In this, gold is in the form of Deity Shakti and the structure of stringed black beads is in the form of Deity Shiva.
Mangalsutra is an ornament that attracts Divine Principle in highest proportion. In a mangalsutra both the cups are hollow from one side and are raised from the other. The mangalsutra is worn facing the hollow side towards the body. The Divine Principle is attracted in the voids of the cups in higher proportion than in any other ornaments.
Through the mangalsutra the woman gains Energy of Desire, Action and Knowledge. The mangalsutra is a link that provides Deity Shakti in the form of the Absolute Fire Element (Tēj) to the woman to actually perform a task.
In the left part of the mangalsutra there is flow of Energy of Desire, in the central part of Energy of Action and in the right part of Energy of Knowledge.
From the mangalsutra the Desire, Action and Knowledge Energies are also emitted.
With the help of the Desire, Action and Knowledge energies, it becomes easy for a woman to proceed towards Nirgun Principle.
Click here to read more.
- 1.1 Importance of Mangalsutra
- 1.2 Structure of mangalsutra with a Kanthamani and the gold cups
- 1.3 Why is the empty part of the central cups of the mangalsutra placed towards the Anāhat-chakra?
- 1.4 Why should there be no design on the raised front part of the cups?
- 1.5 Why are two strings of black beads present in the mangalsutra?
- 1.6 Importance of structure of mangalsutra
- 1.7 Benefits of gold beads strung in the mangalsutra
- 1.8 Why do we say that mangalsutra has lost its sanctity, if it breaks?
- 1.9 Why Scriptures do not allow widows to wear a mangalsutra?
- 1.10 Why do men not have to wear a mangalsutra?
- 2. Effects of wearing a mangalsutra and a gold chain
- 3. Why is a gold chain not used in place of a mangalsutra?
Copyright © 2009 Forum for Hindu Awakening All Rights Reserved.
No part of this website may be reproduced in any form.
No picture or text may be duplicated or copied without the express
written permission of the editor of the Forum for Hindu Awakening.