Description: This article provides information about various incorrect and harmful acts during the festival of Diwali.
Festival of Diwali is joyous because everyone looks forward to its celebrations. During Diwali, we meet our family, relatives, cousins, friends, etc. and exchange best wishes, tasty food items, clothes, etc. This festival is very important because we get an opportunity to worship Yamarāj(Deity of Death) and pray to Him to prevent untimely death. We also get the opportunity to worship Deity Dhanwantari, Who keeps us healthy. Everyone eagerly awaits worshipping Goddess Lakshmī(Deity of Wealth) and Deity Kuber (Treasurer of wealth).
Unfortunately, due to lack of understanding about the spiritually adverse effects, many people indulge in acts which are incorrect and harmful. Let us see some of the examples of such acts –
Use of firecrackers
- Lot of money is spent in organizing firecracker shows. Instead, that money can be utilized for educating people about the Greatness of Hindu Dharma.
- Firecrackers may appear interesting; however, they do create pollution of the environment.
- Lot of time and efforts is spent in organizing such shows. It also takes up time of the local authorities, Police, Fire Brigade, and Ambulance. Instead of this, that time can be utilized to promote Dharma.
Use of incorrect type of music and songs
- Diwali is a spiritual festival, in which one has the opportunity to remember God. However, playing Bollywood music, songs and dancing to such music increases the Raja-Tama components in the atmosphere. The negative energies are attracted towards raja-tama, through which they cause problems in our lives. The music, songs, dance should be sāttvik so that it helps everyone to get anubhūtis (spiritual experiences) of Deities Whose worship is to be done.
- Any spiritual festival, which is devoid of bhāv(spiritual emotion) and bhakti (devotion), prevents us from obtaining the spiritual benefits. God comes to only such events where there is bhaav and bhakti.
Emphasis is given to wearing expensive clothes, jewelry, etc.
- These days, spiritual festivals are becoming an event to display our expensive clothes, jewelry, etc. In Spirituality, external appearance has no significance; it is our bhaav and bhakti which has real meaning.
- When we are conscious about our clothing, jewelry, etc. then our focus on the God is less. As a result, we may not be able to obtain the spiritual benefits of the festival.
Unnecessary chatting and joking during the festival
- Generally, when people go to someone’s home or at public celebrations of such festivals, they spend their time in unnecessarily chatting and joking with each other. They talk about work, movies, shopping, etc. Instead, if one talks about God, spiritual practice, etc. then one will be able to derive spiritual benefits from celebrating festivals.
- Some people go to such festivals to socialize, have fun, eat good food, etc. It is not that one should not talk to others or not enjoy the festival; but if we are conscious about obtaining the spiritual benefits, then our spiritual practice will occur through such events.